on small and big changes

 

The very last daylight of the Spring Equinox. This year, I am reflecting on what celebrating the seasonal changes means for me and my family. I am trying to adjust our rhythms a little more to nature and less to the clock. It is not necessarily everyday stuff, but more of an awareness of the changes in nature around us and how we can follow suit. We do live in a very (very) rural area, surrounded mostly by nature with extreme seasonal changes. There is still a lot of snow outside, probably more to come, but today it smelled like Spring.

I did bring a little Spring indoors, not able to resist buying a small bunch of mini daffodils last week. They do brighten up the room, and well you know, they are yellow! We also marked “Earth hour” yesterday, switching all lights off and reflecting on why we need a day called earth hour. We actually all thought it was very cosy to sit on the sofa by candle light, and the children did comment on the feeling of calmness and ease they felt in the dim light. We are thoroughly exposed to artificial light during the winter months here, trying to ban the darkness of the polar night. We did sit for about 30 minutes, which I was most impressed about, before my teenagers went back to their videogames. Small wins.

I have actually been reflecting a lot about our habits and our impact on the environment for a long time. With a scientific background I always try to base my decision making on science if possible, though many times one has to follow gut feeling as well.

Climate change has been on my mind for a long time, how could it not be?

In order to not feel overwhelmed I often push it to the back of my mind, I think I am not the only one doing this. I try to do a bit of good here and there, but I am realizing it is just not enough. Sacrifices have to be made in rich countries, meaning that our everyday existence is going to be more uncomfortable that what we are used to. For example lets take plastic. Though necessary for many many situations, unnecessary plastic has to make its way out of our lives as fast as possible. I am mainly focusing on clothing, kitchen ware and food packaging for now. It is hard. It is so easy to just grab that plastic bag or wrapping with four children in and out of the house.

Another spot I am working on is our diet. There is no denying that a vegan lifestyle is the best for the planet. I can share a couple of peer reviewed scientific articles if you would like to read some science behind this.

https://josephpoore.com/Science%20360%206392%20987%20-%20Accepted%20Manuscript.pdf

https://journals.plos.org/climate/article?id=10.1371/journal.pclm.0000010

We are not vegans and we are far (far far away) from even being vegetarians. I realize that I need to change this. There are no excuses anymore. The way farm animals are treated is another aspect of this issue that has been bothering me for years of course. But science is truly showing that we need to eat more, like a lot more, plant based food. I am however finding it challenging to feed my kids with enough food that keeps them full. I have three teenage boys that are active in karate, wrestling and climbing. They eat all-the-time. I do not think we can cut out meat completely, but I am going to make an effort to really reduce our consumption. If you guys have any tips on what plant based food I can feed my teenagers please share!

I think I will stop my Sunday ramblings here for now. The sun is shining and we will spend some time outside today.

Wishing you a lovely week ahead, lets not loose hope and work together.



You can’t go back and change the beginning,
but you can start where you are now
and change the ending.

~ C.S. Lewis



Comments